Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bohemian Waxwing


I originally thought this was the more common Cedar Waxwing, but I was excited to find that it was the Bohemian, which I'd never seen before. Bohemian Waxwings spend their summers in northern Canada and Alaska and generally winter in southwestern and central Canada and the northwestern U.S. Cedar Waxwings summer in south Canada and the northern U.S. and winter in the southern U.S. and into Mexico. They are common in Texas in the winter.

According to the National Geographic Field Guide:

Bohemian Waxwing: larger and grayer than Cedar Waxwing; underparts gray; undertail coverts cinnamon.

Cedar Waxwing: Smaller and browner than Bohemian Waxwing; belly pale yellow; undertail coverts white.


My camera was at max zoom here (12x). I used software to zoom in further, and it is clear that the undertail coverts are cinnamon and the underbelly is gray.

1 comment:

  1. Great picture....very, very cool. It does appear larger and grayer. One for the bird lifelist. I haven't heard/seen the Cedar Waxies yet in God's country.

    ReplyDelete